Monday, April 4, 2011

Dinner for Schmucks (2010)


I went to my local video rental place the other day, for the first time in about 3 years. Poor Blockbuster, it's changed so much since people started downloading. I felt kind of nostalgic with my video rental card and I decided to get a new release to rent and subsequently review. I chose Jay Roach's Dinner For Schmucks, a movie I found to be sadly disappointing.

When Tim (Paul Rudd) wants to get ahead at his work, his boss invites him to a dinner that has a very interesting game. Each guest has to bring a loser to make fun of, and the person whose guest is the biggest loser wins. Tim brings Barry (Steve Carell), a man whose hobby is making dioramas using dead mice in costumes.



Judging by the promotional poster and dvd case, I thought this would be one hilarious movie, but instead I was just completely disappointed. All of the characters were just so friggin irritating. Half of the time I didn't feel sorry for Barry, he was just too annoying and too much of an idiot, instead of this making me care for him, I just couldn't stand him. This movie felt really mean-spirited and cruel, we're meant to make fun of these so-called 'schmucks' when they're the most interesting part of the film. The dinner is only a small part of the film which is unfortunate because that's where the film is at its funniest.

It does try to make viewers feel sympathetic towards the lead characters, but I couldn't feel sorry for anybody. Everyone in this movie is a schmuck, not just the freaks. Tim's work colleagues are the worst, there is absolutely nothing to like about them. And Tim is a particularly frustrating character because he just goes along with it all and then complains the whole time. He blames others for his issues when really it's his own fault.

It's a shame this movie was so bad, most of the cast have previously done great comedic work, especially David Walliams, Zach Galifianakis and Jemaine Clements. This movie just tries too hard to be funny.


But on the plus side I did find the mice dioramas to be very cute in a modern take on Beatrix Potter kind of way.

So if you decide to go out and rent something, maybe give Dinner For Schmucks a miss

No comments:

Post a Comment