Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Fifth Element (1997)



I’m sure many of you are wondering why a movie like Luc Besson’s The Fifth element would classify as a movie that is about fashion

Well I have 2 words for you

...Milla Jovovich

One of the original model-slash-actors and now current star of the very bankable Resident Evil series(it seems babes and zombies combined go down well with a male audience, another example of this being Zombie Strippers… who’d have guessed?). This is one of her earlier roles, but she's actually been acting since the 80s.

For the 18 people in the world who haven’t seen The Fifth Element, it goes something like this:
- The end is nigh (due to large approaching fireball)
- The only thing to stop it is the 5th element girl (Milla, wearing nothing but a white bandage 99% of the movie)
- Reluctant hero sent in
- Bruce Willis saves the day (as usual)
Of course th
is is the film boiled down to it's very simple core, I'm sure there's a longer, better explanation on Wikipedia but just let me be lazy this once.

What amazes me about The Fifth Element is that it won’t go away, it has an amazing staying power that we don’t realise because we have all passed it off as being completely lame. But it always resurfaces on TV every year. The special effects were actually pretty good for that time and the whole film has this almost 1960s colourful futuristic theme that just looks so cool. I think it's a good movie to reminisce about, since I think I've seen it 123985890538 times.

Mila does an ok job of acting but you can forgive her for a so-so performance since she was half naked most of the time. While she and Willis are the leads, it is the supporting cast that are the champions of the movie, especially Chris Tucker as the fabulously camp Ruby Rhod and Gary Oldman as the evil Zorg. Bruce Willis, is well, Bruce Willis the gun-toting, alien smashing, action film star who we all know very well. So far this movie has stood the test of time and I hope it'll continue to do so, since it has some pretty good moments.

oh and the dialogue isn't too bad for a sci-fi movie either. It's light and comedic and most importantly it doesn't get too heavy with science fiction terminology that can send even the most dedicated nerd into a deep slumber. The theory behind it fairly basic and easy to and kind of reminds me of Captain Planet, in a weird, awesome way.


See you tomorrow for more of the same awesomeness

1 comment:

  1. I have as well seen this movie more times then I can count in my head, because I basically stopped one day because it was making it hurt. Not only the casting made this movie good, but the filming and editing itself made the movie fantastic. The scenes flowed together, and the way they would jump back and forth between different scenes having the same conversation on opposite ends is amazing. I didn’t much care for Chris Tucker, but not because of the part, just because I don’t like Chris Tucker, but I deal with him for the good movie, his part did add to the movie in parts, and he didn’t take away from the movie so that helped. It was more his screaming like a girl that always makes my ears bleed. I have never stopped liking the film, and it will always be watched at least once a year until that enjoyment stops. This is why it was the first movie I put into my queue when I set up my blockbuster @home account, after Netfliz raised prices, I didn’t have any rental’s for movies so I decided since I work at DISH I would give the @home a shot. Before I even put The Fifth Element into my queue I looked through the 20 movie channels included and the on demand hoping it would be there but alas, sometimes I have bad timing because I didn’t find it, so I rented it and I have continued to get my $10 out of the plan every month, mostly with streaming movies. I forgot how orange that shirt was although that could have been just because it was the first time I had seen it in High Definition, but still I can’t seem to get bored watching it from end to end, proves that it is a very enjoyable movie.

    ReplyDelete