Saturday, March 26, 2011

La Princesse De Montpensier (2010)



As I was saying earlier this week, the Alliance Francaise French Film Festival is closing up soon, tonight in fact. So I went on a little excursion (actually a big one, Balwyn is kind of far from my house) to go see one of the festival's movies on it's closing night. It was amazing how busy it was, I half expected to be the only one there. I chose
La Princesse De Montpensier namely because of incredibly attractive Gaspard Ulliel, whom you might know from this ad (directed by Scorsese of course).


Sigh...

Anyway this film follows Marie (Melanie Thierry), a rich young woman who has fallen for Henri (Gaspard), however her father has promised her hand to the Prince of Montpensier (Gregoire Leprince-Ringuet). They marry but soon after she runs into Henri and realises her feelings have only become stronger. It's based on a short story by Madame de La Fayette, a 17th century French writer.


There's only so much you can say about any period drama, particularly one involving romance. I mean everything has kind of been done before, but it's well done here, the costumes are wonderful, the performances aren't always amazing but they're solid and the French setting is beautiful. Everything is shot beautifully, as you'd expect with a film like this. It's all a bit predictable really, but if you like this kind of genre, you'll definitely like La Princesse de Montpensier.




It was a quick one tonight, usually I have more to say but today I'm feeling rather deflated. Tomorrow is the first of what I hope will be many reader requests. And I think I have to say this a million times and I'll say it again... please, please, please if you want to say something/make a suggestion/tell me how crap this is please leave a comment, or alternatively email me at 6956750@student.swin.edu.au. I'm waiting to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment